Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Young for my age?




Last night I went running with my friend Jess. She's 26. I'm 35. I was commenting on how I feel like I'm falling apart. I did the Salt Lake Century ride (100 mile road bike ride) with Melanie on Saturday and had a blast. I was proud that I wasn't even sore, except for some unmentionable places. But on the whole, my legs weren't really fatigued and I felt great. My ankle started hurting on Monday, however, and I was having a hard time walking, let alone running. So, as I was complaining about my ankle, Jess said, "You are one of the youngest 35-year-olds I know". Now, I know she totally meant it as a compliment, but it didn't feel necessarily like a compliment. I mean, how old am I supposed to act at 35? I had another friend ask me my age, and her reply was "You're THAT old?" Again, I think she was trying to complement me, but I AM THAT old. It is the beginning of the end, I guess. All the young kids are gonna start calling me "ma'am" and stuff. The senility is setting in and I don't know how to stop it! Hopefully with age, wisdom might show up...if I'm lucky. It is true that we think we're younger than we are. Just ask my 85-year-old neighbor. He always asks me when looking at pictures of himself, "Do I really look that old?" I guess we really do!

5 comments:

stef said...

I absolutely love the picture of Dave. You are a maniac! I think you look great and you are a great person no matter how old you are!

Jess said...

Okay... you forgot about the part that went immediately after, "You're the youngest 35 year old I know..." Let me remind you:

"...in ALL THE RIGHT WAYS." :)

I guess it is like discussing my age at work, though. No matter how I come out of those conversations, I don't like it!

rosanne said...

I know you meant it as a compliment. It's just that all the sudden, 35 seems a significant older number to people (including me!). I guess I don't like getting "THAT old".

I feel your frustrations at work. Not only are you a woman in a man's field, but you look young, and you are probably way more intelligent and capable than your peers. Bravo to you! You Rock!

Liz Ward said...

Hi there! Clay mentioned you had joined the blogging world! It will be fun to stay in touch this way as well. See you soon!

kennoncrew said...

i am sooo glad that i'm not THAT old--just kidding (i just know that you can kick my bootie at everything, so at least i have my age!)