Saturday, July 5, 2008

Sparklers ARE dangerous!

Happy Fourth of July, ya'll!

I always thought sparklers were "safe", but that is TOTALLY wrong. Not only were we lame parents to give our 21-month-old, Nate, a sparkler, which he did fine with until he touched the burned-out end with his finger... (Ever seen a sparkler burn twice, Dad?)

But, when Will decided he wanted to stick the sparkler in the grass instead of getting burned by the continual fire spraying off the stupid thing...All I know is that I was glad for my quick thinkin' neighbor who came running across the street and stomped out the raging fire before the rest of our pathetic lawn, let alone our house, burned to the ground.

Anyone want any left-over sparklers? (By the way, Clay's fixing the sprinklers today, too. No need for anymore brush fires in our front yard!)

We decided it would be best to leave the fireworks up to the professionals...so we invaded the party at the Tayler's, where they had 10-year-old Oscar and 12-year-old Matt White setting them off. That's the way I like to watch fireworks...a little bit of danger and a lot of fun! I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again...We've got the coolest neighborhood!

4 comments:

Jess said...

Yikes! That sounds like it was a bit too exciting and it explains the Home Depot trip. :)

At the party at the church, 12 yo Carter was doing the lighting...

rosanne said...

What is it about boys and fire that scares me?

Sorry you've been working so much lately. Hopefully there's a light at the end of the tunnel soon?

Dena said...

I know what you mean about sparklers We have to keep the kids very very seperate every time we play with them We do not know how it happens but Hope always get burned well not this year!!!

The kids will learn How to handle them glad you had a geat 4th


hehehehehehe i found your blog LOL

Teresa said...

I read this a few weeks ago and didn't heed your warning but unfortunately I can now relate after doing fireworks on the 24th. Cameron also burned his hand getting a water blister as he was waving the sparkler around with his eyes closed trying to avoid the smoke and after burning his other hand threw it into the grass. (Luckily no damage.) Then Braeden was holding his too high up on the stick as it was burning closer and I over-reacted since he didn't understand to let go and shook it wildly out of his hand to avoid another injury which luckily landed on the sidewalk but he was traumatized enough to not want anything to do with them after that. What was I thinking to actually offer another one? So I'm no longer a fan now either. My grandmother's sister actually burned to death when she was little by a sparkler catching her dress on fire and I always imagined it was because sparklers were probably very different and unsafe 80 years ago and my grandmother's fear of all fireworks a little extreme but not now-and they sell these for kids?