Friday, September 12, 2008

Westwater HO!

Last weekend Clay and I met some friends down at Westwater for a nice day-trip down the Colorado river. It was so fun! Pictured below Cory, Bryce, Curtis, Mike, and Clay chillin' at lunchtime. Here I am with Curtis trying to maneuver through a rapid. It's amazing we all survived going through rapids named "Skull" and "Sock-it-to-me". I was proud of myself for going all the way in the "duckie" (inflatable kayak). Its a lot more intimidating being so low in the rapids for sure. I can see the draw for white water rafting although I am completely spoiled because the first trip I took was in the Grand Canyon with the coolest rapids ever! This was pretty close because I was in an 8 foot Duckie instead of a 38 foot J-Rig! Cataract canyon was fun,but doing it 5 months pregnant wasn't so much fun.
Clay borrowed his friend's boats so he could row a few rapids. We were right behind him and watched as he flailed in a hole in Little Dolores. He was stuck and surfing for a minute but I could see the big grin on Clay's face and knew it was okay. Still, it didn't do my heart good to see Clay of all people stuck knowing that I had to go through that same rapid in a moment! It was with Andrew's boat and it took a while for Andrew to talk to Clay again. I don't think he'll let Clay take the helm of his boat 'ever again'.
Seriously so fun! It was a lot of work to get it all pulled together, but all and all it was a blast. Thanks to Mike for getting the permits and Clay was great to be master river-guide.
Picture of the canyon going back into Moab from the take-out. I forget how much I like it down in Moab. Hopefully it won't be another year before we make it down again. Anyone for another rivertrip? We'd totally do it again in a heartbeat.


5 comments:

Bonnie said...

You guys sure do know how to have fun!

Jess said...

Wow! That looks great :) I am glad you had such a good time. Yes, count us in if you want to go again! You guys are tons of fun.

Suzanne said...

Is that an invitation??? You know I would LOVE to do a river trip of any kind. Let me know and I am totally there. PLEASE!!!
And by the way on Sunday while you were home helping "Peter" recover from a boating activity, Clay invited me to go boating with you guys :) so....I'm ready any time.

Kristi said...

Rosie... We love Moab too. If only you had a jeep. I would love to river raft with you guys... While you were doing that we were over in Arches Hiking our buts off with the Taylors and Whites. What a great neighborhood don't you think?

rosanne said...

Different weekends, but still, we do have a RAD neighborhood! Can't say it enough times! Sounded like you guys had a great weekend, even if we weren't invited!