Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Who wants to be my new best friend?

So, a couple weeks ago when Clay and I took the kids to the Sawtooth Mountains in Idaho for a little "vacation", we were stuck on the side of this awesome, clear lake where we watched boats fly past with their skiiers/wakeboarders cutting some awesome lines in the water. I was so frustrated. I was talking to Clay and was expressing my desire (again) to get a boat. He said (out of exasperation and exhaustion) "Well, just GET one THEN!". I looked at him, knowing that he didn't really mean it, and said "OKAY!".
We got home from the trip and I went directly to KSL Classifieds and called my bro-in-law, Martin (pictured below). He said he would take care of it if I bought it, which is a HUGE deal for me! My folks had a Nautique about 10 years ago and he took very good care of it for them. I figure if I had a mechanic on hand that I could tolerate the cash dump a little easier.


After searching on the web for a couple weeks, we found a '97 Ski Brendella for a good price and low-balled them for even less. It had been in storage for five years and they were ready to dump it. We finally took it out last Wednesday after quite a bit of work done on it (Thanks, Martin and Clay). We left the kids at Grandmas and took the older nieces and nephews out for a chilly evening at Pineview reservoir. Anyone have cute sisters/cousins/friends for cool California surfer guys/gal? The Stange's rock!

Lauren just got her braces off (finally!)...good thing after getting jostled around on the "Lift Off".


Clay took the wheel and Riley and I got on the "Lift Off". Now we know why it is called the "Lift Off". It was a great ride until we caught, I swear, 20 feet of air and poor 10-year-old Riley got the wind knocked out of her on the return trip to earth. She vowed never to get on it again. I hope she will change her mind. Clay felt horrible about it! While we were on the thing, Riley muttered to me "You married the most horrible man!" It was funny, but I hope she doesn't hold it against Clay for too long and will give it another try.

I actually had a chance to waterski for the first time in 10 years. It was awesome, although the water was choppy and cold. It took five tries, but I did it and it was glorious!


Andrew even gave the kneeboard a try.

Good times! I've heard a few different things since I bought the boat. Clay's favorite is "The two best days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it." I hope that isn't true. Another is "A boat is a hole that you throw money into." Well, I think that is already true. Another is "You know what's better than owning a boat? Having a friend who owns a boat." I hope that's true and that ya'll will come and have fun with us! I think I've got a good bribe for ya'll to hang out with our crazy family! (And I promise not to let Clay drive if you don't want him to!)

6 comments:

Kristi said...

Hey you don't have to bribe us.... but it does help :-) I am glad you were able to get your boat. How fun and it is true the about the friend having a boat comment.
Invite us anytime

Jess said...

I am going to go collect my ski and then I am ready to go! And I won't make fun of you if it takes you 20 tries to back up the boat trailer :)

rosanne said...

It's so sad how true that will be. Maybe I'll make you do it...

Em said...

JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stef said...

My favorite quote is definetly that last one. I like to have friends that own boats. I love boating...hint hint.

Mel-o-drama said...

You just up and bought a boat? Well, it's a long drive from GA, but count us in next summer!!